Northern Rivers farmers affected by hail storms in November and August 2017 are encouraged to apply for Agricultural Natural Disaster Relief through the NSW Rural Assistance Authority.
The November storm caused more than $18.8 million worth of damage to infrastructure and horticultural crops across a number of properties. This followed hailstorms in August which caused $1.8 million in damage and significant damage to farm infrastructure.
Agricultural Natural Disaster Relief measures are available for damage caused by the November storm for producers in the parishes of:
- Meerschaum, part Teven, Tuckombil, and part Newrybar in the Ballina LGA;
- Byron, part Teven, part Clunes, Brunswick and part Newrybar in the Byron LGA; and
- Qwyarigo, Calamia in the Clarence LGA.
Agricultural Natural Disaster Relief measures are available for damage caused by the August storm for producers in the parishes of:
- Teven, Tuckombil, part Newrybar in the Ballina LGA;
- Bexhill, South Gundurimba, South Lismore, Lismore, North Lismore, Clunes in the Lismore LGA;
- Tomki, East Casina, North Codrington in the Richmond Valley LGA; and,
- Byron and Pt Newrybar in the Byron LGA
The storms impacted a large area, including parts of Ballina, Byron, Clarence Valley, Lismore, Richmond Valley and Tenterfield LGAs. Affected producers in those areas are encouraged to contact the RAA to determine their individual eligibility for assistance measures.
More information is available from the NSW Rural Assistance Authority website.