Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) Visa subclass 494
RDA Northern Rivers invites skilled migrants to enjoy the lifestyle of regional Australia by applying for sponsorship to live and work in the Northern Rivers region under the Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) Visa subclass 494 (SESR).
The SESR visa enables regional employers to address identified labour shortages within their region by sponsoring skilled workers where employers can’t source an appropriately skilled Australian worker. For the sponsored skilled migrant, the visa means a pathway for permanent residence after 3 years with the employer.
If an employer wishes to sponsor or nominate a skilled worker under a 494 visa to work in a designated regional area in a skilled occupation listed on the relevant skilled occupation list then they must:
- be an eligible business
- be or have applied to be a Standard Business Sponsor
- obtain a Regional Certifying Body assessment of the annual market salary rate (AMSR) for the nominated position
- pay the Skilling Australians Fund levy when they nominate an applicant
- uphold the obligations of a Standard Business Sponsor
To be eligible for a 494 visa sponsorship a nominee must:
- be nominated to work in an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list
- have at least 3 years relevant work experience in their nominated occupation
- have a relevant skills assessment, unless an exemption applies
- have relevant registration or licensing, if required
- work only for their sponsor or associated entity, unless an exemption applies
- be under 45 years of age, unless an exemption applies
- be at least ‘competent’ in English language proficiency as determined by a recognised test
RDA Northern Rivers role as Regional Certifying Body
The role of RDA Northern Rivers as the Regional Certifying Body (RCB) is to provide advice to the Department of Home Affairs on SESR subclass 494 nominations for the Northern Rivers region. All 494 nominations in the Employer Sponsored streams need advice from an RCB.
RDA NR is the only RCB for the Northern Rivers region of NSW, which includes the following 7 Local Government Areas:
- Clarence Valley
- Richmond Valley
As RCB it is our role to assess the Annual Market Salary Rate (AMSR) of nominations and provide advice to the Government. The Annual Market Salary Rate for the 494 program includes guaranteed overtime, penalty rates and annualised rates as per TSS nominations. The same definition of ‘earnings’ in regulation 2.57A applies to 494 nominations.
Advice from RDA Northern Rivers on the Annual Market Salary Rate will be taken into consideration when the assessment against that requirement is made by Department of Home Affairs.
Occupations for nominated positions must be included on the Skilled Occupation List.
Required information for the RCB assessment
All applications for RCB advice must include the following information:
- Payment of $770 processing fee – payment details below
- Form 1404
- Position description
- Employment contract
- Organisational chart
- ABN and business address details where the nominee will be working
- Copy of the relevant Award / Grade and Level
- Payslips of other employees working same position
Payment of processing fees
All visa applications must include a payment of $770 (including GST) and made payable to:
RDA Northern Rivers
Account no: 22314292
Ref: Nominee or business name
For information about the application process and lodgement please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the 1404 form from the Department of Immigration website or use the download link below.